Bet Victor Isthmian Football League


On Tuesday the 12th April Coggeshall Town we’re successful in their attempt to lift the Essex & Suffolk Border League Cup. After finishing runners up last season, the team went one step further this time round and lifted the trophy after a 4-3 win on penalties after extra time against Holland F.C. It was a great reward for the players who have put so much effort in earlier rounds to get to the final, it was a well deserved victory. The cup win is further evidence of the clubs ambition to maintain winning standards and keep progressing on and off the pitch.

Border League Cup Final Winners

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the many supporters who came out in-force last night at the final, and in recent weeks to support the team. The cup final win has really given the players the belief and desire to go on win the league title as well.

The club now enters a crucial period of the season with 6 league games to go with all to play for in the clubs quest for promotion to the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Division 1.

See match report below pictures and match video clips.

Captain Luke Clark Presented with League Cup Trophy

Captain Luke Clark Presented with League Cup Trophy

Winning Penalty taker Nnamdi Nwachaku collects he's medal

Winning Penalty taker Nnamdi Nwachaku collects he’s medal

Slate & Nico

Jon Slater & Nico Farthing collect their medals

Teams pre-match lineup

Teams pre-match lineup


players get together ready for battle

Coggeshall 0 – 0 Holland F.C
Coggeshall win 4 – 3 on penalties after extra time

Coggeshall Town won their first piece of silverware of the season after coming out on top in a penalty shootout after extra time against a very resilient Holland team. The teams were no strangers to each other after meeting the previous Saturday in the league although both teams made several changes to their lineups for the Border League Cup Final, which was being played at the Garrison Ground in Colchester. Conditions were good for what was always going to be a tight game.

The first half began in similar fashion to the previous weekends league game with both teams working extremely hard to try and gain the advantage. As the half went on the pattern of play settled down with “The Town” just about edging the possession but Holland were looking dangerous on the break and from set pieces. Both teams were defending well, so opportunities on goal were at a minimum. Kane Dobrowlski, Nnamdi Nwachuku and Dan McCullock had the best of the efforts on goal for Coggeshall in the first half but none of them could convert leaving the score level at 0-0 at the break.

Coggeshall made a great start to the second half and started to get the better of Holland who appeared to be tiring, ” The Towns” attacking players where starting to stretch the Holland defence and make there keeper work to keep the score level. Further efforts on goal came but Coggeshall couldn’t force the breakthrough. At this stage Holland looked on the ropes and were relying on the occasional counter attack. As the game approached the hour mark things started to go from end to end as you would expect in a final with both teams now showing signs of tiredness. Holland now had there best spell and it was their turn to test the opposition keeper with Matt Walker making a couple of smart saves and Nico Farthing and Michael O’Connell looking solid at the heart of the Coggeshall defence to keep them out. Coggeshall had a let off as the game approached the final stages as Holland hit the crossbar with a decent effort. The last few minutes were very tight with neither team wanting to loose right at the death, the ref blows the final whistle with the score 0-0 and the game goes into extra time.

Both teams made changes at this point as there was a lot of tired legs after such a hard fought 90 mins. The teams were still evenly matched during extra time with Holland creating a chance to score in the first period but Matt Walker in “The Town” goal made a fine stop to deny them. The second period of added time was more one sided with Coggeshall having the better of things creating several chances with Tom Monk and Nnamdi Nwachaku both going close to winning it late on. The final whistle went with the scores level and the game went to penalties.

The match hadn’t been a typical 0-0 draw as both teams had tried to win but defences on both sides had stayed strong. Coggeshall won the toss and chose to take the first spot kick which Kamal Guthmy converted. Holland missed their first penalty after Matt Walker made a tremendous save low down to his right. Skipper Luke Clark and Kane Dobrowlski netted there kicks too whilst Holland also scored there next two efforts. Matt Southwell was up next for Coggeshall but his well struck penalty was well saved by the Holland keeper. The miss made scores level at 3-3. The next Holland player stepped up but Matt Walker again made a excellent save this time diving to his left. This meant that Nnamdi Nwachaku stepped up with the chance to win the match for Coggeshall, which he did with a calm finish sending the ball into the bottom corner to win the Border League Cup for the first time.

The celebrations begun with winning penalty scorer Nwachaku and Goalkeeper Walker being mobbed by the rest of the squad .On reflection the team really deserved their victory as they had worked hard for the win and it made up for last years disappointment  when they were runners up in the same competition. Holland played their part as well and never gave in and will be disappointed to have lost in a shootout in what was a good advert for Border League football.

It was a real spirited team effort with many good performances but Sean Radley in “The Town” midfield stood out all game and Matt Walkers display in goal was eye catching.The team return to league matters this Saturday when Hatfield Peverel are the visitors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.