Felixstowe & Walton United vs CTFC

May 1, 2018
Score: 2 - 4

Match Report

Coggeshall Town were crowned league champions after an excellent performance away at Felixstowe in front of a crowd of over 1500. The game was always going to play a significant part in deciding who would win the League title and after a great all round team performance Coggeshall came out on top. The visitors got off to a great start and pushed the home team back right from the word go with Aaron Cosgrave looking a real threat to the Felixstowe defence. Coggeshall had the better of the opening exchanges and it wasn’t long before their pressure led to the opening goal. Some nice build up play in midfield led to a ball out wide to Jamie Shaw who beat his defender to put in a nice cross which Tom Monk managed to get his head on to score past the Felixstowe keeper from 6 yards out to put “ The Town “ one up. The opening goal lifted Coggeshall even more as they continued to dominate. Goal number two soon followed, a nice ball forward from Curtis Haynes-Brown released Cosgrave again who beat his man to cut inside and fire a shot into the far corner to double Coggeshall’s lead with only 20 minutes gone. The second goal seemed to wake Felixstowe up and they had a good spell after that hitting the cross bar with a long range effort and then pulling a goal back just before half time. At the break Coggeshall still had a deserved  2-1 lead.
The second half began with Felixstowe trying hard to get a foot hold in the game but Coggeshall’s midfield of George Cocklin, Daniel Cunningham and Conor Hubble were really starting to take control. After 10 minutes of the second half Coggeshall were awarded a free kick about 30 yards out, Hubble stepped up to send a dipping shot over the wall into the far corner, giving the keeper no chance to restore “ The Town’s “ two goal advantage. Coggeshall were flying now with the home team not really offering much of an attacking threat. Cosgrave was still looking dangerous and got free again on the hour but as he skipped past the last defender he was pulled down in the box giving the referee no option but to award a penalty. With regular penalty taker, Nnamdi Nwachuku missing from the line-up skipper Luke Wilson stepped up to take the spot-kick. Wilson confidently drove the ball into the roof of the net to put Coggeshall 4-1 up. Coggeshall seemed content to keep possession now and see the game out but Felixstowe came back again to score a second to make the score 4-2 and to give them a glimmer of hope of a comeback. Coggeshall looked in no mood to surrender their advantage though as they defended well while still causing the home team plenty of problems at the other end to see the game through to the final whistle. As the referee brought the game to a finish the celebrations started as Coggeshall Town had done it, they had won the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties League at the first attempt making it three promotion seasons in a row, which is an unbelievable achievement. The management team and players would like to thank all those who made the trip to Felixstowe, as always your support is really appreciated hopefully we have given you all something to remember this season. The team will be back at West Street Saturday to receive the league trophy when Stowmarket are the visitors for our final game of the season.