Dereham Town vs CTFC

Isthmian North 20/21
October 24, 2020
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Match Report

It was back to League action this week after winning the F.A. Trophy game at Bedfont Sports last Saturday. Manager Graeme Smith made three changes to the squad with Carl Morris starting his first game for the club and JJ Wilson and Jake Turner returning to bench, both having been missing due to injury.

There was a good turnout for this game at Dereham’s Aldiss Park ground on a dull windy afternoon. Dereham started brightly with their two wingers Rhys Logan and Jacob Lay seeing a lot of the ball. It was this pairing the combined to give Dereham the first chance of the game which ended with Lay hitting the Town woodwork. Despite Dereham’s bright start Town were looking solid at the back, and as the half progressed Town we getting into their rhythm and were passing the ball well trying to maintain possession. Town’s first substitution came on 23 minutes with Max Booth replacing Jack Baker. Jack having a knee problem had to call it a day. Shortly after the substitution, from a Town corner Carl Morris making his debut hit the crossbar with great header from 12 yards out, 

Town were now looking the better side. On 29 minutes, Town took the lead; it was a great move with Joe Claridge playing the ball forward to Matt Price, who made a run past the Dereham defender. Matt then made a great cross-field pass to Ethan Kessel. Ethan laid a first time ball to Ross Wall who then played a delightful ball to Matt Price at the far post. Matt rose to head the ball over the keeper and in to the net. A great piece of football and a sublime finish. 

Town finished the half as the better side Tevan Allen, Max Booth and Ethan Kessel were controlling the mid-field area supported down the wings by Joe and Harry Critchley who were getting forward at every opportunity. Matt Price and Ross Wall were working well together, giving the Dereham defence plenty to do. As the half-time whistle blew Town we worth there lead.

HALF TIME: Dereham Town 1 – 1 Coggeshall Town.

Town made their second substitution at the start of the second half with Frankie Hession-Harris replacing Carl Morris. Dereham made a strong start to the half, pinning the Town into their own half and the equalizer came on 53 minutes. From a Dereham corner, Jake Jessup bundled the Dereham Centre half to ground making it easy for the Referee to award the penalty. Rhys Logan placed his spot kick to Jakes right giving him no chance. It was game on now, with Dereham in control. However, the goal seemed to spur the Town on. With the clock showing 60 minutes, Elliot Pride in the Dereham goal had to make smart save from Ross Wall. Two minutes later, he blocked a Matt Price shot with his legs. Town were buzzing again, Joe and Harry were getting forward down each flank and Town were controlling the Mid-field. Pride was called into action again on 65 minutes blocking a shot from Max Booth; Matt Price was quick to react and a Dereham defender and Pride combined to clear the ball. A minute later Matt was bearing down on the Dereham goal again, but this time he tried to square the ball to Ross Wall and a defender stepped into clear the ball forward which lead to chance for Dereham, Jake Jessup making a good save low to his left.

On 75 minutes, Nnamdi Nwachuku replaced Matt Price who had put in a good shift up front. Town were playing well the passing was good keeping possession and every marking well making it difficult for dereham to get back into the game. Surely more chances would follow. Pride was called into action again on 78 minutes, first taking a high ball from a Tevan Allen cross and the turning a shot from Max Booth round the post for a Coggeshall corner. On 82 minutes Nnamdi was tripped by a defender when through. The Referee decided that it was nothing more than a free kick. On 85 minutes Nnamdi latched on to a through ball, which Pride partially blocked, and as he ran passed him Pride caught Nnamdi’s  boot but to the surprise of the Coggeshall fans the Referee awarded a free-kick to Dereham. With the clock ticking away Town kept up the pressure on the Dereham goal and there defence worked hard to make sure the kept the score a 1 – 1. However, there was still time for one more shot with Elliot Pride diving to he left to save from Ross Wall. 

On the final whistle, you could not help but think that Coggeshall had enough of the play and enough chances to have one the game. It was no surprise the Dereham goalkeeper Elliot Pride was named as their Man of the Match.

FULL TIME: Dereham Town 1 – 1 Coggeshall Town. 

NO.8 20/21 Dereham Town

Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: WP Frank