CTFC vs Cambridge

Isthmian North 19/20
February 1, 2020
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Coggeshall Town v Cambridge City. 1st February 2020

It was good news for everyone, that after all the recent rain the pitch had passed an inspection and was playable for today’s game. There was a lot of interest in the match with Nnamdi Nwachuku deciding to sign for Town rather than Cambridge City two weeks earlier. Manager Graeme Smith made three changes to the side that lost to Dereham in the last match. Tyler Brampton returned at Right Back, Marc Gorbell at Centre Half after recovering from injury and Frankie Hession-Harris made his league debut. Gorbell and Harris were making a new partnership in Towns three man back line.

The game kick off with a very strong wind blowing to straight down the pitch and City chose to play with the wind which on nine minutes assisted them to take lead. Jarid Robson took a free kick from the left, which eluded everyone and drifted in at the far post with Ashlee Jones rooted to the spot. The play was fairly even but on twenty-two minutes, Jack Simmonds made up yards to get to beat the Cambridge keeper to a through ball. The keeper caught Jack two thirds of the way up his shin with his studs showing. The Referee immediately sent the keeper of which was a controversial decision in the eyes of the City fans. The sending off seemed to inspire ten man City who now looked the better side and the Town had to defend in numbers to keep the score at nil – one. On thirty-one minutes, a very important goal line clearance by Marc Gorbell prevented them from going two goals up. At the half time whistle Cambridge looked worth there lead as Town failed to create any real chances.

HALF TIME: Coggeshall Town 0 v 1 Cambridge City 

At the start of the second half with Town looking for a goal threat, Nnamdi replaced Rokas Janilionis. Cambridge City continued defending in numbers and where showing Great Spirit as they defended their lead. Town were not at their best, and were struggling to string passes together and create any worthwhile chances. On seventy-five minutes, they had their best chance of the half; Joe Claridge sprinted into the box, left his marker on the ground but unfortunately pulled his shot wide of the far post. This seemed to inspire the Town into action and three minutes later Josh Pollard made ground on the right and from the edge of the penalty area he fired a shot in that beat everyone in the box and nestled in the net at the far post. Town were now attacking with purpose and the passes started flowing, this was their best spell of the game. Jack Simmonds brought a save out of Cities stand in keeper then Nnmadi headed just wide of the far post. With 90 minutes showing on the clock, Town took the lead. Jack Simmonds fired in a shot that the keeper failed to hold. Joe Claridge made a great run on to the loose ball and the keeper did well to smother the shot, but Nnamdi showed great awareness as he followed Joe into the box and latching on to the loose ball he steered it home passed the City defender on the line. With the Town in the lead things became quite frantic. City were looking for an equaliser and Town were desperate to hang on to the three points. Emotions were running high when Josh Pollard was tripped in Towns box. The City player felt that Josh had dived and aimed some punches in his direction. Ashlee Jones came to Josh’s rescue throwing the city player to the ground. When it had a calmed down. The referee sent off City’s Ryan Ingrey, booked Seb Simpson and sent off Ashlee. Josh Pollard took over in goal and made one last save and the referee finally ended the game after twelve minutes added time. Not a great game but the town fans were happy with the three points.

FULL TIME: Coggeshall Town 2 v 1 Cambridge City

Match Photos – Coggeshall Town V Cambridge City – 01.02.2020

Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: WP Frank